By registering, you are notifying researchers at the Faculty of Business and Economics at The University of Melbourne (and other affiliated institutions) that you are willing to participate in experiments and will adhere to all rules and regulations.
Rules For Participants
- When you register to participate in economics experiments, your name will be added to our E2MU database. When an experiment is scheduled, the system will randomly select a sub-pool of participants to invite to the experiment.
- You will be notified via email if you are randomly selected to participate in an experiment. You will be permitted to participate in an experiment only if you receive an invitation.
- If you receive an invitation, you will need to click on the registration link in the email to register for the session that you wish to participate in.
- Once you register for a session, you must immediately notify researchers via email if you can no longer participate in the experiment. This will allow them to find a replacement for you. Participants who do not show up for the experiment on time or who cancel their registration within 1 hour prior to the start of the experiment will receive a “no-show” penalty.
- It is possible, but unlikely, that you will not be required to participate in the experiment when you arrive on the day of the experiment. This can happen if we have more people than the required number to fill the session. If this happens (and you have arrived on time), you will be compensated with a one-off payment of $10.
- Each person who participates in an experiment will receive a payment, typically at the end of the session. The amount you will receive may depend on the type of experiment, the decisions you make, and the decisions made by other participants. The average earnings of participants in a session may range between $15 and $30 per hour.
Information for Participants
- The laboratory prohibits the use of deception in all experimental protocols taking place in our facility.
- When you register to participate in economics experiments, your data will be stored in the E2MU server. The data will be used for the limited purpose of organising scientific experiments.
- The data may be shared with affiliated institutions for research purposes.
- The data will be used only for the following purposes:
- To inform participants about new experiments and to invite them to participate in these experiments.
- To check whether participants have shown up for the sessions they have registered for.
- At any time, you may unsubscribe from our mailing list by sending an email to email@example.com. In doing so, you will no longer receive invitations to participate in experiments.
- Upon request, we will delete a participant’s data from our E2MU server without restrictions. You may request your data to be deleted by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- During an experiment, participants generate data by making decisions. This data is analysed scientifically by the researchers conducting the experiment.
- There is no connection between the data collected during the experiments and the data stored on the E2MU server.
- In most experiments, decisions will be made anonymously. However, in the rare occasion that the design of the experiment is such that your identity may be revealed to other participants, you will be informed and explicit consent will be sought. Regardless of the nature of the experiments, the data collected will be deidentified at the data analysis stage. Hence, the data will be made anonymous and will not be attributed to an individual in any presentation or publication of results.
- The data will be used for the creation of scientific publications and presentations.